Sunday, March 1, 2009

Strength Through Music

This game was sent to me and I am posting it here because I have made two therapeutic exercises out of it.

Upon completion of the game, I realised how depressing my music is (and this is on a 4GB ipod). May people who are depressed listen to depressing music (see my post for one reason this is therapeutic). Most people will not change the music they listen to. But even the most depressed person has some happy type music in their collection.

So the first exercise is to create a playlist with at least as many happy songs in it as there are sad songs in your current playlist and then merge these two. This might mean removing some negative songs from your current playlist, but them’s the rules. If you don’t have enough positive songs to balance the negative ones, again remove some of the negative songs. This doesn’t mean you can’t listen to your favourite depressing songs, just that you shouldn’t listen to all of them all the time. The songs on your playlist can be rotated, as long as the positive-negative count is at least equal, if not greater on the positive side. And you can’t use the excuse that you have no happy songs because I’m including some suggestions at the bottom.

The second exercise is more directly related to the game. What you do is get the lyrics to the sad songs on your list (I only used the first ten songs because my stolen internet signal disappeared on my) and write a positive passage/poem using one line from each song. Another interesting exercise I just thought of would be to use the lyrics of one song and write something positive using the words (not whole lines) in the song.



Here is the game (with my answers):

RULES:
1. Put your iTunes, Windows Media Player, etc. on shuffle.
2. For each question, press the next button to get your answer.
3. YOU MUST WRITE THAT SONG NAME DOWN NO MATTER HOW SILLY IT SOUNDS.
4. Have Fun!

IF SOMEONE SAYS 'ARE YOU OKAY' YOU SAY?
Same Ghost Every Night (Wolf Parade)

HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOURSELF?
Sister (Sufjan Stevens)

WHAT DO YOU LIKE IN A GUY/GIRL?
Sea Legs (Immaculate Machine)

HOW DO YOU FEEL TODAY?
Brand New Colony (Postal Service)

WHAT IS YOUR LIFE'S PURPOSE?
One by One All Day (The Shins)

WHAT'S YOUR MOTTO?
Almost Over (Elliot Smith)

WHAT DO YOUR FRIENDS THINK OF YOU?
Innocent Bones (Iron and Wine)

WHAT DO YOUR PARENTS THINK OF YOU?
Two-Headed Boy (Neutral Milk Hotel)

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT VERY OFTEN?
The Gate (Belle and Sebastian)

WHAT IS 2 + 2?
One Chance (Modest Mouse)
- I can’t believe how wonderfully this one worked out.

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF YOUR BEST FRIEND?
Burn Your Life Down (Tegan and Sara)

WHAT IS YOUR LIFE STORY?
Ghost (Neutral Milk Hotel)

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO BE WHEN YOU GROW UP?
Roboxulla (The Jealous Girlfriends)

WHAT DO YOU THINK WHEN YOU SEE THE PERSON YOU LIKE?
Satin in a Coffin (Modest Mouse)

WHAT WILL YOU DANCE TO AT YOUR WEDDING?
Roseblood (Mazzy Star)

WHAT WILL THEY PLAY AT YOUR FUNERAL?
Sunday Smile (Beirut)

WHAT IS YOUR HOBBY/INTEREST?
O My Heart (Mother Mother)

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST FEAR?
Two Places (Immaculate Machine)

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST SECRET?
Sing (Dresden Dolls)

WHAT DO YOU WANT RIGHT NOW?
Wrong Choice (Lovely Feathers)

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF YOUR FRIENDS?
Sun Will Set (Zoe Keating)

WHAT WILL YOU POST THIS AS?
Strength Through Music (Amanda Palmer)

Some happy songs:
You, Me, & the Bourgeoisie (The Submarines), 50’s Parking (Tapes ‘n Tapes), Jason’s Basement (The Gossip), Dashboard (Modest Mouse), Army (Immaculate Machine), Hay Loft (Mother Mother), Wraith Pinned to the Mist and Other Games (Of Montreal)

This is my re-write of the first ten songs:

With an iron will to walk the walk -
My own breath, my own breath through the path,
Reminding me to know that I'm glad,
There is no reason to grieve.
If every moment of our lives
We have one chance,
Everything will change
And you've got everything to gain
And even the last of the blue-eyed babies know:
It's a chance I'll take oh yeah.

If anyone does this, I would be interested to see the results.

1 comment:

  1. OK. I think I need to make the time to do this! :)
    Also, I love that you are studying neuroscience! If I had the money I would continue my ed. in that area.

    ReplyDelete