Thursday, July 7, 2011

Self Worth


We can all think of many objective ways of measuring worth (income, titles…) and it may be we hear these terms so often associated with the word worth that it can become difficult to define our own meaning of worth. And yet, self worth is a subjective measure. While external validation is important, worth is something a person should feel, not a thing they are told they possess. Every person has their own individual qualities that defines their unique worthiness. I encourage readers to come up with their own ideas of what makes them feel worthy (this may take some time, especially for those with mental illnesses. And remember, worthiness is not something you have to work on, it is something you already are and you only need recognise it. You will likely find that once you begin to feel worthy whatever other self improvement projects you may be working on (self-esteem, kindness…) will come much more easily.

2 comments:

  1. dear ms riley, I am a psychologist working in austria since 1992. I am about starting a ccoking group with children with different difficulties, maily problems with self-esteem. I have been cooking with children already years but not in the organized way I would like to do it now. It would be great, if you had some research or literature about the effects of cooking not only regarding self esteem or self image but also in cognitive impairments like learning disabilities. I would like to do some research with the group. Here is my e-mail: praxis_familien@yahoo.es. Thank you in advance and best regards,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. See my earlier post 'Cooking Therapy.'
    http://rileyjennifer.blogspot.com/2010/05/cooking-therapy.html

    I think your prioject sounds wonderful. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete