Monday, August 15, 2011

Eros the Bittersweet - Review

Eros the Bittersweet (Anne Carson)

This is an interesting book that examines the dichotomy of love (Eros type) primarly through association with Greek literature and language (with a focus on poetry). It is ironically romantic in all the right places as well as informative and insightful. Besides being entertaining, I think this book could provide grounding for those who feel dominated by their love feelings.

“Eros is an issue of boundaries. He exists because certain boundaries do. In the interval between reach and grasp, between glance and counterglance, between ‘I love you’ and ‘I love you too,’ the absent presence of desire comes alive. But the boundaries of time and glance and Ilove you are only aftershocks of the main, inevitable boundary that creates Eros: the boundary of flesh and self between you and me. And it is only, suddenly, at the moment when I would dissolve that boundary, I realize I never can.”

“Our souls once lived on wings among the gods, he [Plato] says, nourished as gods are by the infinite elation of looking at reality all the time. Now we are exiled from that place and quality of life, yet we remember it from time to time, for example, when we look upon beauty and fall in love.”

No comments:

Post a Comment